Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Multi Minecraft Hosting
10-28-2011, 06:20 PM
Question Multi Minecraft Hosting
Alright, so long story short I plan on hosting multiple MC servers on one VPS to try to pay it off and cover the costs. The way I figure, 5 slot servers for $5/m with branding (Every 2 mins say I'm hosting, etc), an extra $5/m without branding, and another $1 per extra slot. With testing, it seems I only need about 278Mb ram per 5 slot server to get decent performance.

I have the VZ UFO 8 plan, so 6 gigs ram, SHOULD be $25/M per 20 slot server.

20 slot server takes about 1 gig of ram. So I SHOULD be able to host about 5 20 slot servers, correct? That would be $125/M income, subtracting the $59 per month that I'm paying for the thing, should be $66 profit.

Is there a way that I can minimize the ram usage even further to be able to host more with less?

Also, is there a way that I can allow my clients to use ssh to restart/stop/start their servers?

Thank's a lot for the help!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-30-2011, 08:29 AM
RE: Multi Minecraft Hosting
you can use a very small crappy account with accesses only to the server root to start and stop the server but some renters will have no idea of what to do with ssh
10-30-2011, 08:31 AM
I checked out GamePanelX. Doesn't support Minecraft right now, but apparently they are planning on it. I hope soon Big Grin
11-10-2011, 05:54 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2011 05:55 PM by iamsoroy.)
For a free game panel you could try gamecreate it supports minecraft
11-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Hi,

You would be better to start out testing different setups and configurations for it - and providing it as a free service to bring in "BETA" type players and clients to test it out and see what all exactly your going to need in resource wise, what's going to sell, and so on. So this would allow you to budget it out your monthly payment of the server to what exactly your going to need and then once you get the full setup completed of how your going to run the operation you can reset everything or require the beta (free clients) pay the monthly cost to keep their minecraft server online otherwise it would be removed after a notice or something.

This way it allows you to test out different methods and way's to successfully run it and also try different control panels and what not. There's ton's of different thing's you can do. I personally do something kind of the same - but alot different and more complex.

For user access - if you do not want to purchase a decent control panel and wanna use a free one you may 'adduser' under root in ssh and create a user and assign the clients permissions access to only the limit of process and the directory minecraft is running in for the user.

Just some info, running it on VZ could cause you some issues if it gets large enough for what your planning to do as OpenVZ is shared resources amung the other users on the host node - - as were Xen and KVM are dedicated resources (e.g CPU) to where OpenVZ you have a limit so other users may use the power and other parts of the host-node as well as you.

Even though you have the RAM and the power to do it... openvz is not the greatest virutilization to run multiple mine craft servers on with a decent amount of players at once - it will become laggy and not perform as you think it will.

I personally run a private business for game services to a very large community and other things, and we sell minecraft hosting, but the equipment we use we are provided it by our sponsors. We also developed a control panel to be able to manage, these are the kinds of things you need to do to run a successful company, just a tip. So, your able to grow... It's not super-loaded to the max, and allows room for it to expand as needed instead of being a few percentage away from it's limit's.

A few of our budget minecraft package's are ran on Xen Virtual Servers, and here with Alienlayer, It's possible to do it as we provide great hardware for our virtual server packages and a very nice, and reliable network. It's just the way you tune your whole server, configure everything, and every day manage it, if you wanna do well. You needa invest, and do the proper things and know exactly how to manage, configure, secure, and allow it to operate well.

For starting also, I def. suggest you go by doing it through the BETA idea that I gave you as it allows you some time for mistakes and setting up correctly and fixing kinks and bugs - and you can also still accept donations from the free beta clients to say, add a extra few slots or something to the sort. This way, if you jump right into providing it paid minecraft hosting and something goes wrong and you have down time or not able to do it - you don't have people requesting refunds, or opening up disputes and so on. It's just a safe role to go until you figure out exactly how you wish to run it - and then build it that way, and make sure it stay's that way.

I can provide you some pointers if you wish. I would also adjust your pricing a little as your a bit expensive for providing it on a type of budget-end service. But I don't know exactly your marketing stradgeys so it could be great. I just know, our current lowest package (and it's not even our best seller) is 12 slots - $19.99/year, and that's unbranded with our control panel to control/manage/edit your MC.

Note: What's explained is not advertisement or spam; It's a priviate/community business operation. We are a group (community) and me (founder) and some of my admin's started a little business out of the community, to the community only for game services. Which minecraft was the main idea and it succeeded well, large amount of our clients: (Active: 1,001). But we' also offer VoIP services and such.

I have no problem providing you any pointers or assisting you if needed on a non-business level, if you wish contact me here by PM or e-mail.

Thanks. :-)

Alien-Remix
AlienLayer - AlienVPS.com / UFOHost.net / AlienRack.com
"Abducting the Competition!" Cool
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Wow, finally remembered to check back to the forums Smile Thanks for the information, it really seems as though you know what you are doing. I will try out your strategies and see what I come up with. Thanks for the help!